Saturday, May 29, 2010

the art of distraction

It's funny how changing circumstances can change a person's perspective on things. Like how with the onset of a need to be studying for exams, suddenly so many things become important-- like cleaning the house, doing the dishes, and blogging of course! (Haha)

We students call this the art of distraction. Don't let me deceive you, exams are definitely important. Because of this fact, the student must frame the distraction in a light that portrays it to be more important. Thankfully, this term is offering much material to work with: given that it is my last weeks in Wales, not only is packing or cleaning a priority, but so is spending time with friends I may not ever see again. Thus, socializing becomes very important. :)

I am an emotional person (I can hear my mom chuckling already). I don't know who came up with the idea of putting exams at the end of the term, but don't they know that we students, especially international students, already have a lot on our plates this time of year?? Goodbyes are hard enough, let alone figuring out how I'm going to fit everything back into the TWO suitcases I came with, realization of how much less money I have, and then add to it the stress of exams. Not to mention that its finally been starting to feel like Spring/Summer around here.. Mom, can you even imagine the rollercoaster my emotions are on? It's no surprise my face has broke out a little bit!!

If you remember, at the beginning of this term I shared with you about how my American housemate and I made an "American dinner" for our international housemates. Well, we have continued the project to share our cultures-- My housemate, Jon, is from France and I have to be honest, his English isn't always the best (don't worry, he doesn't follow my blog), but he didn't quite understand the project and rather than sharing something French, made us one of his favorite new dishes-- fajitas! Haha! Christian, from Germany, made us a dish that he explained was really traditional and he'd grown up with his mom making it for him. It was meatballs in a cream of mushroom-type sauce over white rice, served it with a yummy cucumber salad on the side. Delic'! I have to admit that my favorite was our most recent-- Italian! Barbara is an amazing chef and she really treated us. Fresh bruschetta starter, pasta with a homemade cream sauce with mushrooms and ham in it, and marscapone dessert! Wowwy it was so good.

So anyway, these days have been filled with coming up with a packing strategy, beginning to say goodbyes to friends as they finish their exams and start leaving town, trying to enjoy the sunshine that Swansea has been offering lately, wrapping up paperwork from the university and my final report for Rotary-- oh, and studying for exams!!

No comments:

Post a Comment